Thursday, September 17, 2009

To Ottawa and beyond!

My time in Ottawa passed quickly. On Tuesday we held a rally on parliament hill which was well attended and very successful in terms of politicians and citizens alike being in attendance. I was put a little on the spot when I was asked to give a speech without any forwarning! Luckily Malkolm had known in advance and written something up so I said a few things a greatfully passed the mic on to him!

I passed out the remaining postcards that Nadia and I had been carrying since day 1 and talked to lots of people who were interested in the trip we had just completed. You can check out some pictures of the event here. We also got to meet the group from Quebec who had just cycled in that morning.

In the afternoon we all rode together from Embassy to Embassy in search of Canada's missing climate action plan. We heard from the Dutch Ambassador as well as from a representative from the Danish Embassy. By then we were all starving so a bunch of us headed over to a local cafe where Kesten's cousin had kindly offered to treat us to lunch. The MTV news girl joined us for lunch and conducted a few more interviews while we waited for our food so keep an eyeout for pedal for the planet on MTV canada's news airing sometime this week!

Yesterday I finally reached a decision about my plans for after Ottawa, nothing like leaving it till the last minute! I am going to continue riding on to Halifax! I spent the whole day planning route, searching for accommodations and getting supplies. I am going to post my itinerary below and like before I will indicate whether or not I have somewhere to stay and if you or anyone you know would be interested in hosting me for the night please let me know! As the weather gets colder a warm house to sleep in is more and more welcome!

> Sept 17 - Ottawa - Hawkesbury YES
> Sept 18 - Hawkesbury - Montreal YES
> Sept 19 Montreal - Trois Rivieres NO
> Sept 20 Trois Riviers - Quebec YES
> Sept 21 Quebec - Saint-Aubert NO
> Sept 22 Saint-Aubert - Riviere-du-loup YES
> Sept 23 Rest day in Riviere-du-loup YES
> Sept 24 Riviere-du-loup - Edmundston NO
> Sept 25 Edmundston - Grandfalls NO
> Sept 26 Grandfalls - Woodstock NO
> Sept 27 Woodstock - Fredericton YES
> Sept 28 Fredericton - Waterborough NO
> Sept 29 Waterborough - Moncton YES
> Sept 30 Moncton - Port Elgin NO
> Oct 1 Port Elgin - Charlottetown YES
> Oct 2 Rest day in Charlottetown YES
> Oct 3 Charlottetown - Caribou NO
> Oct 4 Caribou - Truro NO
> Oct 5 Truro - Halifax YES

1 comment:

  1. I guess it makes sense...you've biked so far, you may as well keep going just so you can tell people that you biked all the way across Canada!

    ReplyDelete